How to make a complaint

Churchgates is committed to high quality legal advice and client care. However, if you are unhappy about any aspect of the service you have received, or about our bill, you should first raise this with the fee earner with conduct of your matter and if necessary then refer the matter to Matthew Boardman by email ( or by post to our office.

We have a procedure in place which details how we handle complaints which can be made available to you if you wish to see a copy. We have eight weeks to consider your complaint. In most cases, we trust that this complaint handling process should resolve any issue you may have.

However, if you are still dissatisfied with our handling of your complaint, you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman at Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ. More information is available online at, by email at, or by telephone on 0300 555 0333.

Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint or within six years of the act or omission about which you are complaining (or if outside of this period, within three years of when you should reasonably have been aware of it).

If any disagreement relates to the level of our fees, you can ask us to provide a detailed assessment of our costs. Alternatively, you can apply to the court for a detailed assessment of your bill under Part 3 of the Solicitors’ Act 1974. You may have to pay for the costs of the court assessment.

Why not book a free no-obligation meeting with us to discuss how we can help you?

Contact us